Erika’s Caramel Bars
We have some talented folks here at Mehl’s Gluten-Free Bakery. These are Erika’s caramel bars: Layers of caramel and chocolate are sandwiched between an oatmeal crumble. If you can’t make it to our bakery, here’s the recipe. Let us know how it works for you!
Erika's Gluten-Free Caramel Bars
A treat that is reminiscent of those delightful treats you grew up with, whether at grandma's or mom's. Sure to bring a smile to your mouth and satisfaction to your palate.
- 2 cups Mehl's Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour (300 grams)
- 1 cup lightly packed brown sugar less 2 Tablespoons (172 grams)
- 1 1/2 cups Gluten-Free Oats Quaker Instant Gluten-Free work great
- 1 3/4 sticks butter (204 grams) softened to room temperature (Use dairy-free margarine for dairy-free version)
- 1 (10-12 ounce) bag caramels use a dairy-free version if available for dairy-free
- 1 1/2 cup chocolate chips use dairy-free if making dairy-free
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons milk or dairy-free alternative
Mix the flour, brown sugar, oats, and butter with a hand or stand mixer until the butter is evenly spread through.
Split into two even amounts.
Spray or oil a 9" by 13" pan, and then place half the dry ingredients and butter into the pan. Spread evenly using your hands to create a crust (reserve the remaining half for the topping).
Bake the half used for the crust for 10 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Melt the caramel with the milk or milk alternative.
Sprinkle the chocolate chips evenly over the baked crust.
Pour the melted caramel mixture over the chocolate chips.
Let it cool enough to start to harden, then spread the remaining crust-topping mixture evenly over the top of the chocolate caramel mixture.
Bake another 15 minutes at 350 degrees.
10. Let cool, cut and enjoy!
If you can't find dairy free caramels, here's our recipe for Dairy-Free Caramel Sauce you can use in place of the caramel and milk.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!